News and Updates
Please note that Helpful Updates, concerning COVID-19 can be viewed on our News and Updates page.
The objectives of the Union Local are:
- to promote academic freedom and to advance teaching, scholarship, and research at Algoma University; to advance intellectual and social development and the betterment of society; to foster a working environment that enables members to be successful in their work lives at the Institution.
- to regulate labour relations between Algoma University and its Faculty, both full-time and part-time, and to bargain collectively on behalf of its members on all matters pertaining to their relationship with Algoma University. In this regard the Local affirms the importance of collective bargaining in advancing the standards of the profession, protecting academic freedom and collegial governance, advancing policies and practices that secure equity in employment, promoting the interests of full-time, part-time, and contract academic staff, as well as contributing to the improvement of the quality of post-secondary education in Canada.
- to provide a common field for mutual exchange of ideas between the Union Local and the broader University communities, as well as the general public;
- to pursue the constitutional objectives of the Ontario Public Service Employees Union;
- to promote the interests of the Ontario Public Service Employees Union, the Union Local, the Algoma University Faculty Association (to which the Union Local is associated), the Canadian Association of University Teachers (CAUT), the Ontario Confederation of University Faculty Associations (OCUFA), and the CAUT Defence Fund.